19 March 2007

Lebanon: Meanings and Consequences

This week’s summary is a selection of posts that focus on meanings and on repercussions. For example, what does it mean to be a modern man or a leftist in Lebanon and what is the aftermath of not caring for rural communities and of not developing agriculture as a means of production. Other topics involve the new poverty rates in Lebanon and how political bickering is taking its toll on young students.

On Meanings:

Ana Min Beirut posts on what it means to be a modern man:

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstructionist that is politically, anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been uplinked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

Jij writes on what it means to be a leftist in Lebanon (and about much more):

What does it mean to be a leftist in Lebanon? Notwithstanding the four or five remaining members of the Democratic Left Movement, I believe that being a leftist in Lebanon is centered on three basic (forcibly ideal) tenets: 1- Promotion of a secular society, where an individual’s social, cultural and historical identity is not pre-defined and absorbed by his tribal belonging. 2- Support of an economic strategy whose highest goal is bettering the lives of its most underprivileged elements (as opposed to making the super-rich even richer), and unequivocal opposition to savage and devastating neoliberalism policies. 3- Opposition to neo-colonialism and to all its agents in the region.

Bech explains that the events happening in Lebanon are a classical case of power shifts: ...

Read the rest of this and about consequences here...

0 Comments:

 

blogspot templates | Tech Blog